Deliciously sweet and spicy. Inspired by the restaurant Barrio downtown Minneapolis MN.
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1 cup orange orange juice
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp hot-pepper sauce
- Coat a slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine first 8 ingredients and 1/4 tsp each, salt and black pepper.
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add chicken in batches and brown 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to the slow cooker. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same skillet. Add onions and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and soft, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or on high for 4 hours.Transfer chicken to cutting board and shred. Add sauce until chicken is just moistened. Serve with tortillas, avocados, cheese, cilantro, and additional sauce, if desired.
4.Place on top of chicken, add the diced green chiles and the remaining spice mixture.Whisk together the orange juice, tomato paste, lime juice, cider vinegar, garlic, hot sauce and 1/2 tsp black pepper.